Endless Summer Strawberry Shortcake
What you need:
- 1 jar of our Strawberries & Cream Ice Cream
- 1 cup and 1 tbsp all purpose flour (substitute your favourite all purpose GF blend)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup apple sauce
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 cups fresh sliced strawberries
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a round cake pan with coconut oil.
- Whisk together the flour, cornstarch, and salt in a small bowl.
- In a stand mixer, combine the butter and sugar until creamy. Next add the vanilla. Slowly incorporate the applesauce while mixing. Add half of the flour mixture on low speed until almost incorporated, then add the rest of the flour. Mix in the milk.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- While the cake bakes, prepare the sauce by cooking sliced strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes until just thickened.
- When the cake is finished baking, allow it to cool on the counter for 10 minutes before slicing it. Layer cake, ice cream and sauce in a tall glass and finish with whipped cream and even more sauce!
- Enjoy and dream of endless summer days.