Try it At Home Tuesday: Sugar Cookie Edible Spoons
At Four All we do our best to minimize waste by using compostable wood spoons and cups. We've come up with a fun new way with edible sugar cookie spoons! Here's how we did it with our favourite sugar cookie recipe.
Vanilla Sugar Cookie Edible Spoons:
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg, cold
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Cardboard or stiff paper
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Whisk together flour and salt
- Beat butter and sugar together until well blended, scrape down sides. Add egg and vanilla and beat on medium speed until just combined.
- Add flour mixture all at once and mix on low speed until combined. Stop mixer and scrape down sides and bottom of bowl until dry ingredients are blended in. Do not over mix the dough.
- Divide the dough into two balls. Roll each ball flat to about 1/4-inch thickness. Refrigerate dough for ~25 minutes.
- in the meantime trace a spoon shape onto stiff paper and cut out to create the spoon template.
- Cut chilled dough into spoon shapes and place on parchment lined cookie sheets. Chill dough again for ~25 minutes. This step is important to ensure the cookies do not spread while baking.
- Bake cookies for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown. Allow cookies to cool completely on baking sheets.
- Melt chocolate chips.
- Spread melted chocolate onto "bowl" of sugar cookie spoons and set on parchment paper. Shake sprinkles onto chocolate and allow to set completely.
- Enjoy with your favourite Four All Ice Cream!