Try This At Home: Pavlova Ice Cream Sammies
Pavlova is an elegant baked meringue dessert with a crispy outside and soft inside... We just made it better but turning it into an easy and decadent ice cream sandwich!
What you need:
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cup of organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp salt
What to do with it all:
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Using a mixer (or by hand), beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gradually add and beat in the sugar (tbsp at a time). Keep beating until thick and glossy then add the vanilla extract and cream of tartar.
- Cut the corner of a large Ziploc or other plastic bag to create a "piping bag". Fill up the bag and twist close the top.
- Squeeze out the meringue onto the baking sheet into round cookie-shapes, starting from inside out.
- Bake for 1 hour at 200 degrees then shut off the oven and let them cool inside (keep an eye on them and cook low and slow to get a crunchy outside and soft inside).
- Once cooled, put one scoop of slightly softened ice cream between two pieces. Add garnish along the sides or on top, then enjoy! (You can stick them in the freezer, but the meringue tends to get sticky once frozen).