Try This At Home: Gluten-Free Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich
This #TryThisAtHomeTuesday is for all the folks that don't usually get to enjoy brownies or cookies OR ice cream because they need to steer clear of gluten.
We've made a gluten-free Brownie ice cream sandwich with homemade gluten-free brownies and our Cookies & Cream ice cream, which is made with gluten-free double chocolate cookies from Q's Cakes & Café in Uptown Waterloo.
To make the gluten-free brownies, you'll need:
- 3/4 cups of coconut oil
- 1 & 1/4 cups of organic cane sugar
- 1.5 cups of semisweet chocolate
- 4 eggs
- 10 mL of vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp of cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup of corn starch
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
How to do it:
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8x8 inch square pan with coconut oil
- In a pot, melt the coconut oil then add the sugar. Stir to incorporate.
- Remove the pan from heat and add the semisweet chocolate. Stir until smooth.
- Beat this mixture with a whisk or mixer for 2 minutes
- Add eggs into the mix one at a time, then the vanilla extract.
- Sift in the cocoa powder and corn starch into the batter then add the salt.
- Stir everything together, then beat the batter vigorously for 1-2 minutes. Beat until the batter is smooth and shiny.
- Pour your batter into the prepared pans and bake for 22-30 minutes or until the brownies are set in the center. Take good care not to overbake them!
- Remove the brownies from the oven and allow them to cool in the pan for 45 minutes before slicing them.
- Cut out a square piece of brownie and place it in the freezer.
- Once the brownie is significantly cooler, cut the brownie in half, careful not to make it crumble.
- Take one scoop of our Cookies & Cream ice cream and place it between your brownie slabs.
- Tada!! Best dessert ever for those gluten-free folks in your life.
Look out for another awesome DIY recipe using #fourallicecream next Tuesday on the blog!