Try This At Home: Churro Ice Cream Tarts
These churro tarts with maple walnut ice cream are a favourite treat for parties and gatherings. They are spiced, creamy, and have a walnut crunch!
**To make this recipe vegan, use vegan butter, flax eggs, and one of our vegan flavours (we’d recommend Chocolate Jasmine Sorbet). To make it gluten-free, use gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose.
What you need:
- 250ml water
- ½ cup butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
For the coating:
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ⅔ cup sugar
For the topping:
- Generous scoops of our Maple Walnut Ice Cream
- Chocolate sauce (optional)
What to Do:
- Preheat the oven to 380F. Place muffin wrappers in a muffin tray (we would recommend silicon wrappers so that the tarts don't stick).
- In a saucepan, bring the water, butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon and pinch of salt to a boil. When dissolved, pour the mixture into a large bowl containing the all purpose flour.
- Add vanilla extract to this bowl and stir with a spatula. Add in the eggs, and mix until fully incorporated.
- Scoop 2-3 tablespoons of churro batter into each muffin wrapper, then place another wrapper on top (you can hold the top wrapper down using pie weights, otherwise it will rise while baking). Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked all the way through.
- Let the churro bowls cool for 20 minutes before touching them, then mix together the coating ingredients (cinnamon and sugar) and roll the churros in this mixture.
- Top with our Maple Walnut Ice Cream, drizzle with some chocolate sauce and enjoy!