Try It At Home Tuesday: Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Sandwich
At Four All this summer we are focusing on life’s most important question: what can we turn into an ice cream sandwich? This week on try it at home Tuesday we are featuring our delicious Strawberries and Cream ice cream in a Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Sammy!To make this tasty and simple dessert you’ll need:
- A cube of our Strawberries and Cream ice cream
- Angle food cake made in a large muffin tin, or in a pan cut into squares if you'd refer
- Fresh strawberries (we always recommend Herrles)
- Whipped cream
Angel Food Cake
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks, and then add cream of tartar, vanilla extract
- Combine flour sugar, and salt.
- Mix the egg whites with the dry ingredients, and then pour into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan.
- Place cake pan in a cold oven. Turn the oven on; set it to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Cook for about one hour, or until cake is golden brown.
- Invert cake, and allow it to cool in the pan. When thoroughly cooled, remove from pan.
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Place the sugar into the mixing bowl and add the whipping cream. Whisk just until the cream reaches stiff peaks.
To assemble your ice cream sandwich slice your cube of Strawberries and Cream ice cream into thick slices and place between two Angel Food Cake pieces. Add a dollop of whipped cream and garnish with fresh strawberries!