Gingerbread Cookie Sammies
Imagine Four All's Ginger Bread Cookie Dough Ice Cream made into an ice cream sandwich. WE did! We used a soft gingerbread cookie which made biting into this dream pure perfection.
Try out our cookie recipe below, or use your own, or pick-up a pint of The Crumby Cookie Dough Co. Feisty Redhead Cookie dough and bake that up!
Makes - 4 ice cream sandwiches
- 8 cutout & baked gingerbread cookies in gingerbread men shapes.* Refrigerate your dough for at least 15 minutes prior to baking to ensure there is minimal spread in the baked cookies.
- Icing and sprinkles to decorate your cookies
- 1 Jar of Four All Ice Cream's Gingerbread Cookie Dough Ice Cream.
- Gingerbread men shaped cookie cutter (2-3 inch). *
What to do:
- Empty the ice cream from the jar onto a small cookie sheet spreading the ice cream to ~3/4 inch thickness. Place in freezer to allow ice cream to harden.
- In the meantime, pair up your gingerbread cookies so that you have 4 pairs.
- Decorate 1 cookie of each pair, and leave the other naked.
- Use your cookie cutter to cut out ice cream gingerbread men from frozen spreadout ice cream.
- Place ice cream cutout onto naked cookie.
- Top ice cream with the decorated cookie, forming a sandwich.
- Transfer the ice cream sandwich to the freezer immediately and allow to harden for at least 30 minutes.
- Repeat for the rest of the cookies.
- That's it! Impress your friends and family with these delicious ice cream sandwiches.
*Alternatively cut your cookies into rounds and decorate. Scoop your ice cream onto the rounds to make round ice cream sandwiches.
Gingerbread Cookie Recipe (adapted from The Cookie Book by Rebecca Firth)
Makes ~25 3-inch cookies
We love this recipe because it makes a soft, chewy cookie that freezes well.
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3.5 cups all purpose flour (or use a 1:1 Gluten-Free Flour blend that contains Xanthan Gum)
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Cream butter and brown sugar together in a large bowl. Add molasses, egg, milk, and vanilla and combine until everything is incorporated. (May look curdled, but don't worry)
- Combine all dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Add dry mix to butter mix and stir together until all the flour is thoroughly combined.
- Separate dough into 2 balls. Note that this dough very sticky. Flatten the balls into disks and wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and allow to rest in fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from fridge and allow to warm up to room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Roll out dough on a well floured surface with a floured rolling pin. Place rolled dough into fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees C. Cut dough into desired shapes, and chill cutouts again in freezer (for 15 minutes) or fridge (30 minutes).
- Bake for 8 to 9 minutes. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
- Proceed to eat, decorate, or assemble into ice cream sandwiches!